The Old Head of Kinsale is a deserving Wild Atlantic Way Signature Discovery Point. The headland extends out into the Atlantic ocean for 3 km. At the start of the headland is the Old Head Signal Tower which was built during the Napoleonic era in 1805. These towers were an important line of defence against French invasion. This is also the nearest point to the site where the RMS Lusitania sank in 1915 following attack by a German U boat. The Signal Tower has been wonderfully restored as a Panoramic Viewing Point, A Lusitania Museum and Interpretative Centre. Work is underway to complete a Lusitania Memorial Garden to honor the almost 2000 souls lost on that fateful day.
One can enjoy commanding views from the top of the Signal Tower of the headland including the world class Championship Golf Links and the black-and-white banded Lighthouse. Generally access to the Old Head golf course and lighthouse is restricted to golf club members except for a couple of days once or twice per year, in May and during Heritage Week in August, when locals and tourists are given access by bus to the lighthouse.