Cape Clear Island off the coast of County Cork Ireland in Roaringwater Bay. It is also known by its Irish name Cape Cleire and is the southernmost part of Ireland that is inhabited. Most of its 100 inhabitants speak both Irish and English as it is a Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking area). It is a small Island, just 3 miles by 1.5 miles and is a popular destination for bird watching and whale watching. It is a beautiful unspoilt island with megalithic standing stones, a 5000 year-old passage grave at Killickaforavane, a 14th century castle and a 12th century church ruin. The position of the old lighthouse on the island meant that its light was frequently obscured by fog and mist. It was decommissioned in 1854 when the nearby Fastnet lighthouse became operational.
Saint Ciarán was born on Cape Clear and is the island’s patron saint. Each year on March 5th the Islanders celebrate his feast day at the holy well at Trá Chiaráin.
The island holds a special place in the memory of many Irish school children who spent time at one of the two Irish summer schools on the island still operating June through to August.