The information plaques at the site read as follows:
“The friary was founded in the late 13th or early 14th century. The Franciscan friars who lived here devoted themselves to the strict rules of poverty and simplicity as laid down by St. Francis, so the architectural details of the building are quite plain. The earliest church was smaller than the present one but was extended when the tower was built in about 1500 by the Franciscan Bishop of Ross, Edmund de Courcy. On the west side of the cloister was the kitchen, and at the north-east side a dining room with 5 windows overlooking the sea.
After the reformation some of the friars returned to Timoleague and lived there on and off until 1642, when the friary and town were burnt by English soldiers under Lord Forbes.”