Great Samphire Island is a small island in Tralee Bay around which the harbour and port of Fenit is built. A bronze statue St Brendan the Navigator, who was born near by Fenit island in 484, stands on Samphire Island.
There is a lighthouse, dating from 1851, on the smaller rock called ‘Little Samphire Island. The light was converted to automatic operation in 1954, at which point the keepers left. It is possible to take a boat trip out to the lighthouse and climb to the top for great views but do book in advance to avoid disappointment. Phone the harbour office on (0)66 713 6231 to book.
The car park in Fenit is right by the beach which also has a great children’s playground. All in all, a great place for a family day out.
‘Samphire’ is a small flowering plant used in cookery and lends its name to the twin islands in the bay.